At Virginia NOW, our excitement over this historic election isn't stopping. It's fueling our determination to make real progress in achieving equality.
But first, let's celebrate victories.
- We're elated that Delegate Eileen Filler-Corn and Delegate Charniele Herring - women who have steadily moved forward in leadership positions - are now among the top leaders in Virginia.
- We're proud that Delegate Filler-Corn will be the first women Speaker of the House in the 400-year history of Virginia's legislature. We're proud that she has stood with us to champion the ERA.
- We're proud that Delegate Herring got her start in public life with NOW colleagues and that we've stood with her throughout her public life.
- We worked hard to re-invigorate our Virginia NOW PAC (Political Action Committee) and we're ecstatic to report that it has completed its most successful year. We endorsed and supported 85 incumbents and challengers and we won 43. The success of our PAC is due to YOU - your financial contributions and your volunteer activism in campaigns. Thank you!!!
NOW, we're rolling up our sleeves for the coming legislative battle. Our agenda is as compelling as the victories of our endorsed candidates:
- Virginia becomes the 38th and final state to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment
- The Reproductive Health Equity Act (RHEA) expands provisions for no-copay insurance coverage and reproductive healthcare services
- Overly burdensome regulations on abortion facilities are removed
- A life-saving "Red flag" law is passed to enable loved ones and law enforcement to temporarily prevent someone in crisis from accessing firearms
- Measures to protect and assist rape and sexual assault victims are passed, including legislation to expand forensic nursing services, provided by Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANEs)
- Measures to advance economic security at long last come to Virginia women and families, including an increase in the minimum wage and establishing a paid family and medical leave program
And this is just a start. We need YOU to make this agenda a reality. In the coming days, we will be sending you more information. For NOW, let us know your thoughts - what are your stories and dreams, what do you want to do, what are we missing (if anything)? Email us!
Additonally, you can read here about what Vriginia's Democrats are planning for 2020 and what we have to look forward to in new, blue Virginia.
Together for equality!
Connie Cordovilla - email@example.com
Pat Reuss - firstname.lastname@example.org
Marj Signer - email@example.com