Welcome to an Equal Future
The Virginia NOW State Law Audit Project’s (VLAP) mission is to review state statutes and administrative code for to identify all forms of discrimination and for compliance with the 28th Amendment which prohibits discrimination based on sex.
States across America are reviewing their constitutions, statutes, and administrative code for unnecessary distinctions made on the basis of sex. The initial step of the audit is to identify non-gender-neutral terms and to look for language that reflects inappropriate preferential treatment for one gender. Gender-neutral terms are those suitable for, applicable to, or common to all genders.
The VLAP Team including participating supporting organizations and legal subject matter experts from across the Commonwealth will look to identify misogyny, and other forms of discrimination impacting protected classes (e.g., racial, disability, employment, housing, etc.). We endeavor to develop recommendations and propose model language to modernize Virginia code. State legislators, informed by constituents and jurisprudence, will determine whether current state laws are still appropriate and whether they require updated language.
VLAP supporting organizations are being regularly added and to date include:
- League of Women Voters (LWV) - Virginia
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) - Virginia
- National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW) - Virginia
- Schar School of Policy and Government, Gender and Policy Center (GAP), George Mason University
- Planned Parenthood Advocates of Virginia
- Women Lawyers On Guard Action Network
- The Purple Campaign
- University of Virginia, School of Law
- Hollins University
- Stop Child Abuse Now (SCAN)
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for Children
- National Women's Political Caucus (NWPC) - Virginia
- Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities
The Legal Advisors